Sidebar: I promised that my blog entry today would be more upbeat than these last few weeks (ok, months).
Everyone should have colleagues and friends as supportive as mine. I have many (some, even, who do not yet have acronyms). But this entry is about The COB. (He really likes having “The” as a part of his moniker.)
The COB, being a kind and gentle sort, was really disturbed by my decidedly gloomy (read: depressing as hell) blog entries, and took to heart my pledge to write less about death and aging and navel-gazing.
So invested is he in my mental state (and my blog) that, not only did he undergo a procedure so I could blog about it (ok, not really), but he took a picture for me and gave me title options for this blog entry. “The COB Removes a Blob” won. Here is why the other entries didn’t win:
- “Don’t Sob, Dear Cob” — a potential winner, except my sister is SOB and that could be confusing.
- “The Cob Gets His Head Bobbed” — my brother is BOB and he is a peaceful man.
- “Corn off the Cob” — when you see what was removed, this doesn’t do it justice.
- Using “Blob” was ok because I determined that that acronym would not go over well for anyone and so there would be no risk of confusion.
So, here is how the story that led to this blog unfolded:
The COB walked into my office one day, closed the door and sat down in a guest chair, all with an air of something important to say.
“You know that thing on my head?” he started.
“What thing?” as if I didn’t know.
“The thing-on-the-side-of-my-head thing!”
“Oh, the thing that I stare at when I lose interest in what you are saying? That thing?”
“Hey, you can only tell when I get a haircut!!”
“Really, are you sticking to that fantasy? Stop, stop, stop. Tell me!!”
“I am getting it removed. It is time.”
“But what will I stare out when you are droning on?”
“My ears. I stare at yours when I can’t possibly pay attention to you anymore.”
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. What’s wrong with my ears? Still, it is about him and his thing and, showing uncharacteristic restraint and selflessness, I let that slide. For now.
The COB had the procedure this week, and as I was waiting impatiently (ok, somewhat frantically) to find out if he was all right and if it was a benign growth, I get an email entitled, “It is what you think it is!!” with the following attachment:
So, based on the tone of the email, I knew all was ok. Based on the picture, I realized that it wasn’t really a thing; it was a gross thing.
I emailed him: “We have broken the grossness barrier in our friendship. It looks to be about 15% of your brain. How is the other 85% doing?” Based on the grossness factor of his email, I am thinking that his intelligence was heavily weighted in that 15%.
“That could be another good title for the blog!!” he emailed back.
Dear COB, I adore you so.